Why is Fashion Sustainability Important?

April 13, 2021

Pollution is a critical environmental issue that’s snowballing with each passing day. Did you know that the fashion industry alone accounts for 10% of greenhouse gas emissions and 20% of global wastewater?

In addition to this, research shows that the United States is the leading nation to generate plastic trash, most of which is used to produce fast fashion products like jewelry. Our planet is dying a slow death, and it’s only us who can make a conscious decision to save it. One term that has gained popularity amid this crisis is “sustainability.”

Here’s why fashion sustainability is essential:

Why Do We Need To Switch To Sustainable Fashion?

There’s an increasing demand for fashion globally, because of which  97% of the required input are new resources. Let’s put this in perspective; if 97% of manufacturing material is new, this leaves us with only 3% of recycled materials. Valuable natural resources like oil and water are needed in massive amounts to meet public demand.

Several factories release chemicals into the rivers and lakes when manufacturing garments, which kills aquatic life. Garments made of polyester release 500,000 tons of microfibers into the sea and ocean, which is approximately 50 billion bottles of plastic! Along with this, textile manufacturing requires tons of water. The Aral Sea, for example, is now dry due to extensive cotton manufacturing in the area.

Posters supporting sustainable fashion.

How Can Sustainable Fashion Help?

1. Sustainable brands use recycled fibers, which reduces the pressure on natural resources and eliminates the accumulating waste issue.

2. These materials also don’t require extensive chemical treatments, fertilizers, or pesticides. Some brands even use biodegradable organic materials, making it an eco-friendly option.

3. Sustainable brands opt for cruelty-free alternatives; this means they aren’t tested on animals, keeping our wildlife safe.
4. These brands focus on creating long-lasting and high-quality clothes to avoid waste. On the other hand, fast fashion aims to get you to buy more, which is why their clothing doesn’t last very long.

5. About 2,700 liters of water are required to produce one T-shirt. Sustainable brands use organic cotton, which uses 91% less water as compared to traditional cotton.

6. Sustainable fashion also teaches consumers how to love and care for their clothes. It helps them reconsider their buying decisions instead of merely spending money on a clothing piece that’s trending. It focuses on investing in timeless pieces that are made by keeping the planet in mind.

If you’re looking for a reliable and experienced manufacturer who can turn your sustainable fashion dreams into reality, then get in touch with our experts at Lefty Production Co. We’re a leading clothing manufacturer in California that deals in all kinds of clothes, including bridal wear, swimwear, activewear, and much more.

More News